Being a School Chaplain and Youth Pastor. my journey to getting there.

I was asked to speak at a Church in Naracoorte in December about how i had been called and ended up in Naracoorte.  I also shared this similar story/message to the campers and leaders at CE Camp.

Hello my name is Nicole Mugford, I’m 22 years old and I have grown up in the north eastern suburbs of Adelaide until moved to Naracoorte in February when I began working as the Youth pastor at the Uniting church and more recently in the second semester as Christian Pastoral Support Worker at Naracoorte Primary School. I'll tell you more about my roles later but first let me tell you a bit about my journey to getting here and how God has paved the way for me. 

I don’t really have a testimony of a life of sin and turning from it, but I don’t have a story of faithfully growing up in a Christian home either.  My family have had a connection with church for a long time but not regular attenders.  After being invited to a kids club during primary school, my mum built connections with families at the church and we started going regularly to church when my dad was away for work.  When I was 10 my parents’ marriage ended and a complicated and long custody battle followed.  Things were pretty messy and my big sister struggled with her mental health.  I was left feeling pretty unloved and unworthy of the stability that came with a solid family unit and undeserving to be treated with care because of how broken my life was.  The strange thing was that even in the brokenness I felt, my kids’ church leader still seemed to love me and want to be around me.  Through her love and care for me, I was shown Gods great love for me, even though I felt undeserving and broken. She continued to teach me about how much God cared and wanted to heal me from the pain I was feeling.  It was somewhere around that point in my life when I decided to follow God.
Fast forward to high school and I decided I wanted to live passionately for Christ in my school.  We had a school Chaplain while I was in year 8 but they moved on and the school didn’t reappoint someone to the position.  My heart was to see my friends and my school changed in the name of Jesus.  I found another Christian friend in year 10 and started a prayer meeting to pray for our school.  We spread the news with people we knew and about 10 students gathered weekly for the next 2.5 years. 
We had to pray outside because the staff wouldn’t let us book a room for our meetings, so we sat in the courtyard of school praying that God would strengthen our number and the school would be changed.  I also decided that our school would be helped if we had a school Chaplain again and thought that would just be the coolest job, so I rang Schools Ministry Group and spoke on a regular basis with the regional manager for my area at the time which was Karyn Gillard. Turns out that my name became quite known among the local churches and in SMG through my constant contact and requests for prayer in my school community.
During year 11 tragically my school principal died suddenly and the school was in absolute shock, the day it was announced at school was a quiet day, my friends sat around at recess un sure how to best process the situation.  As we sat, one of my friends asked for me to lead the group in prayer for the school and all affected.  It was such a special moment in my faith to be able to share my faith with those in my school community a moment of pray and I encouraged the local churches to get behind and support the school through that tough time through the regular contact I had with prayer points through SMG office 

My teen years and public declaration of faith during high school, gave me a solid foundation for the faith I carried into my young adult years. After finishing year 12 in 2010, I started a bachelor of social work, but mid-way through the year it didn’t feel like it was exactly what I was meant to be doing and I was really passionate about youth ministry and was running my church youth group.  I finish first year and transferred to a bachelor of ministry at the uniting College. In 2012 I did an internship at my church with the youth group and learnt a lot about leadership, as I drew close to the end of the year I thought about where God would call me in the future with my ministry, I committed that to prayer.  Over New Year’s in 2012 I went on CE Camp (Christian Endeavour) like I often do but as a first time camp leader. I lead a mix bag of 16 year old campers. While on camp one of my campers shared with me about how tricky it was to group up in the country with very little Christian support around you and not having passionate people leading youth ministry. It really stuck with me.
  And I prayed about it a bit, a prayer along the lines of, God, there needs to be more passionate people for youth ministry in the country, please find those people. And thanks for the stable position you have placed me in and the passion you have given me.
My prayer was brilliant and God was sure to look after those young people from country regions across the state. And I mean, I was lucky my ministry and study was going too perfectly. Needless to say, I didn’t get the ministry position I thought I was going too, my uni placement location pulled out on me last minute and the classes I was enrolled got postponed. My perfect plan was falling through.  I asked God what the deal was and country ministry came up. I went on a kids camp as a chaplain and I met a bunch of kids and the ones I talked too always happened to be country kids how didn’t know what would happen once they turned a teenager since there was no youth ministry.   So I decided to investigate this country business. The only person I knew well who lived in the country was the Dow family, so I emailed them and asked if I could holiday at their house. Ian had previously joked that I should consider ministry in the country and said he would sure Naracoorte was a great place to do ministry.

Fast forward again through 2013 and I spent most of the year unsettled and questioning.  But God opened so many conversations and doorways at the right time even when I was fearful.  The youth pastor position was advertised in December and interviews took place late January of 2014. I moved to Naracoorte 10 days after my job interview and it was the scariest step of faith I’ve ever taken. I was so sure God had called me to Naracoorte and paved a way in advance that I had stepped out of leadership at my home church, and prepared to move. I loaded mums car up with my stuff and drove here, unsure of where I would sleep when I arrived or what everything else would look like. But even though I was fearful I knew God has prepared the way and I knew God would protect me and take care of my ever needs.  As I packed I came across a bible verse which really stuck out too me, it’s from Psalms65:11 and says “You crown the year with Your Goodness and the path drips with abundance”

This year has certainly been an abundance, of change as I settle into a new environment, an abundance of challenges that come with working with young people and in a church, an abundance of rewarding moments as young people commit to faith and invite friends and an abundance of laughs both at me and with me.  But mostly this year for me has shown an abundance of God’s goodness as he continues to show up in each and every situation in sometimes unexpected ways. 

My role as youth pastor in the uniting church gives me the great privilege of leading young people as they explore faith, ask questions and develop into adults.  Many of my young people have faced some big personal battles this year in their own lives as well as in their family and the special thing about my job are that I am often invited to journey with them through that, and point out along the way where God has guided them and provided for them. 

My role as CPSW has been a long time coming, my year 7 yearbooks has my dream job listed as school chaplain, and my contact with SMG has helped them to know the faith I have and the way I have been passionate about providing schools with a Christian presence.  I was thrilled to be appointed to the school from term 3 this year, not only did it fill my time and lighten the financial burden with having an extra job, but it gave me so much life. 
Naracoorte Primary School is such a friendly school and I am blessed with the connections I have made so far in my time there.  This year I have been at school 3 days a week and I have been able to participate in a wide range of different planned and unplanned activities.  I regularly listen to reading with the reception students, joining in on science, tech and art classes and assisting with the year 7 elective programs.  In term 3 I was asked to keep a close eye on a young lad who had some difficulty with tough family stuff going on so extra eyes were needed in the school year to keep him safe. We played soccer together and soon enough this student was surrounded with new friends as a soccer match for organised daily.  I also spent many lunch times blowing bubbles for the enjoyment of the children, and me :P and it was fantastic to see the young students leading the way by blowing the bubble and the older students were cheering them on and enjoying the activities.  I also met with a range of different students of personal and small group issues about home and friendship issues.  We talked, made posters, did origami, learnt some new social skills, practiced role plays about life situations and I made many students a personalised journal to help them reflect on their day and feeling and achievements. 
In term 4 I continued with a lot of those things but as I built the trust and respect of the teachers more had more opportunity to engage with their classes.  I went on many excursions and even coached and umpired a T20 cricket team as well as assisted with Kindy transition.  I joined the year 5’s on camp to Ballarat and had an absolute ball.  I got to spend 4 days with teachers and students and a few key parents getting to know them, exploring and learning.  Camps are a fantastic way to share faith with people in a casual context.  I was blown away by the many opportunities I had to share faith over year 5 camp.  One of the teachers asked me how I ended up in Naracoorte without my family at such a young age, so I got the privilege of sharing about how I felt called to do what I was doing in this context.  A young guy was upset on the last day of camp and some other students pointed him out to me so we had a conversation, sometime in my heart I just really want to tell these students about how much they are loved by God, but of course it’s not that easy in my role, but God always has a way. During our conversation this boy tells me the tree he is sitting half way up has graffiti on it. I ask him what it says (silly question really, it could open a massive can of worms) but he replies it says “In Christ there is Faith Hope and Love” I said oh that’s interesting. He continues to say, what do you think that means Miss Nicole? So I tell him as simply as possible that the Christ that is written is Jesus and he is the guy Christians believe come to save them from all the bad stuff in the world. So that graffiti is saying that Jesus gives us hope and something to believe in and proves to us we are worth being loved. He thought that was pretty cool and asked if that was true for everyone.
It’s just incredible to be able to have little conversations that spark a little something in someone else’s life. 

We worship awesome God and I’m so thankful for the way God has called me and used me and provided for me so far in my life.  I’m so thankful for the many people in this church and many others who support the School Chaplaincy program financially and through prayers. As we enter 2015 I hope that my position in the school with become more and more fruitful as I continue to engage with staff, students and families.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The day I found my voice

Young leaders development...

Beautiful things