Worshipping through Serving in Youth Ministry


Im a youth leader and the youth intern at my church, this means I get to do some really exciting things but also some really boring thing.

Each week I spend one day in the church office, doing admin tasks such as updating the database with contact details, write letters, make the youth program, call places to book things, organising many of the details for youth camps.  I also have to write studies for our youth group and write devotions.  Part of my role as a youth leader is to have a bunch of fun while looking after, caring and contacting the youth im responsible for.  Each week I hang out with youth in small groups and talk about whats going on in their lives, talk faith and have heaps of fun.  I contact my girls most weeks to remind them of details for events and catch up and there are a few youth who I mentor so I have deeper conversations with about whats going on in their lives and support and encourage them in their faith. 

   I first become a youth leader because when I was in youth I had some incredible leaders who supported me through some of the hardest times in my life.   When i felt so alone, hopeless and like noone could love me, i was shown the love of Jesus Christ and was told about the hopd i could have for my future because of God.   I wanted to be able to give back to other young people who might have been in the same situations as I was during my time in youth and remind them of the same truths. 

One verse I was given from a leader when I started a prayer meeting at my school was 1 timothy 4:12

12 Don’t let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in conduct, in love, in faith and in purity.

This verse as a key verse for me because I want young people to realise the influence they have in their lives.  When I realised what this verse meant for my life and how I needed to honour God in my life by being an example, I starting living a way which influenced others.   This was when Ia m truly worshipping God through who I am as He created me.

I worship God through serving in youth ministry because of the call I know God has on my life.  I know that God called me to youth ministry because God has given me a passion for youth people and to share the gospel and love of Jesus with them.  I worship God when I take the verses in Matthew 28:16-20 seriously.

Then the eleven disciples went to Galilee, to the mountain where Jesus had told them to go. 17 When they saw him, they worshiped him; but some doubted. 18 Then Jesus came to them and said, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me 19 Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20 and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.

As Christians we are called to go out into the world and evangelise to others around us, As I lead youth I am praising God for the Good News we have in Jesus and sharing it to those around me.


I love leading in youth ministry, its so much fun and God has given me a heart to see this generation come to realise the hope and love they have because of Jesus Christ.  I see this as a life long calling and i get really excited when i see young people take steps in their faith.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The day I found my voice

Young leaders development...

The Word means a lot...