I am qualified

Early last year i wrote a blog about a passage that spoke about family and being a leader in the church.  I seriously questioned if i was good enough to lead or if i was disqualified from leading in the church because of the broken relationships in my life.  You can read about it here....    http://nicole7992.blogspot.com.au/2012/04/am-i-qualified.html

When i wrote that blog i didn't really think i could do much with these relationships and it felt like a weight on me, i was reminded however by friends that I could used my story to help young people going through the same to find a way out. Even though i knew this i didn't feel that freedom as a leader with it all.

This term i have been on Uni placement and i have been looking at the role of a school chaplain.  This placed me in a school context.  i was at Kings Baptist Grammar School which is a private school in the northern suburbs, it is such a beautiful school with such a lovely community.  The students are respectful, encouraging and seem to have a heart to learn, experience, have opportunities and explore faith, sports and life.

i was working with two chaplains at the school, Jason who works part time at the school and part time at the neighbouring baptist church as the youth pastor, as well as Kathryn who works full time at the school.  Both Jason and Kathryn taught me a lot about serving in ministry in a school context as well as what christian education looks like.

As i shared about my story of faith and my experiences we started talking about the break up of my family. It became really clear to me that i had the ability to teach into this conversation about how to best support students and young people who are going through this situations.  It hadn't crossed my mind that i might be able to use my story and my experience to help and teach others so they can better support people in that situation.  it hadn't crossed my mind that people didn't know how to respond and what to do in the family break downs to support all the members, i didn't realise that sometimes there isn't any formal training you can get on this stuff that will help you understand better.

God has really revealed to me that this part of my story isn't just a story of brokenness or hurt, or a story where i can feel compassion for those facing the same situation, but it is something where i can actually teach into and encourage others who are in support roles of things to be aware of when approaching these situations.

It is freeing to realise this because no longer an i burdened by this experience but i am free to empower others to better serve those who are facing this situations.  Going into my placement, i didn't know where God was going to use me or what He was going to reveal to me. But im certainly glad i had the opportunity to talk this through with some wise people and encourage and help explain this situation better.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The day I found my voice

Young leaders development...

The Word means a lot...