The tough 2 Years...

So I moved to Naracoorte exactly 2 years ago today, I have a 3 year contract at the Uniting Church here as the Youth Pastor.  Let me tell you though, I wasn't sure I would make it this far and I wasn't sure I would be able to see it through to the end. I found it particularly hard and wanted to give up.

Heading towards the end of 2015, I was feeling pretty rubbish, I was tired, stressed and feeling pretty anxious about everything.  In October I took my youth to SAYCO youth camp and then after I spent a week in the Gold Coast at NYMC a conference for youth leaders and pastors.  I wasn't sure at the time if I would actually return to Naracoorte after it because I was feeling pretty done with everything.  But at the conference I stayed with some pretty encouraging and supporting people and met and learnt from a lot of quality leaders from around the country.  These people encouraged, supported and challenged me to stick with it and trust that God was with me in the good and the bad.  Even returning to Naracoorte after that time was hard.  I made plans in my head, I would stay until Easter, that would give me enough time to plan to leave and make arrangements.

At the end of November I went to Kiribati with a group from church.  It was during this trip that I clearly saw the good stuff that God was doing through me and in my town.  It was in Kiribati that I decided it would be okay.  It was in Kiribati that I learned and was challenged to be faithful to God because He was faithful to me and he had called me.  It was in Kiribati that i learnt to trust God first rather than trying to control everything on my own and work with my own plans.

So I'm still here in Naracoorte even though I thought I was done.  I'm still here because:
1. God told me to trust Him. When I prayed for a way out, all I heard was the words "Trust and Obey"
2. Kiribati taught me that even when things are tough and don't go to plan, it's still worth it and worth trying to do again.
3. I have a growing support network and good professional support is necessary to grow and develop as a leader
4. I need to find time to rest and retreat and choice my priorities to fit into my goals and schedule.
5. there is some exciting things happening in my life, with the young people I get to lead and with the possibilities of whats to come.  I want to be a witness to these things.

It doesn't mean its gonna be easy. But i'm not going anywhere until God tells me to go somewhere else.  please pray for me as I learn to trust. Please message me encouragement and support from time to time. Please challenge and guide me as i develop in leadership.  Please if you head through the South East let me know and we can have a coffee. And please, get excited with me when God moves and God works among my young people and I.

So here's to another 12 months in Naracoorte and another 12 months of trusting God and experiencing ministry.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The day I found my voice

Young leaders development...

The Word means a lot...