sexualised world

The world is so over sexualised i would say its pretty much impossible for a young person to go through day without seeing an image of someone suggestively selling a product on billboards, in magazines or for people to be involved in or over heard a conversation on the bus, in the school/uni yard, on tv, on the radio etc which exposes them to ideas which they shouldnt be involved in. 

It makes me sad that so many young people are settling for the first person they meet and think that its a normal and expected thing for them to sleep with their partner.

I've had many conversations with young girls since ive started youth ministry about what they feel like they have to look like and do in relationships etc.  It breaks my heart so much to hear girls say that sex is something that they feel like they need to engage in and be open to if they ever want to be liked by guys and friends.  It makes me sad that people aren't being told why they shouldnt engage in many of these activities at a young age and why many believe these things are sacred for inside marriages. 

When these conversations arise with young girls, it concerns me where they are getting their answers from, magazines that give you tips for the "10 greatest ways to show a guy your're serious" or from friends in the same stage of life that have already been there? are they even asking their parents? I would prefer to be honest and open with young people about my journey  and the reasons i believe in saving myself for marriage than them turn to magazines and others their age for advice. 

I want young women to understand that our bodies are a gift and if we give it away at the wrong time, we can be left to feel like we have nothing.  The connection that such actions produces is something that cant be broken and there is always going to be that connection between two people for the rest of your lives.

i guess my question or statment is...
What are we teaching the young women around us about who they are and the precious gift that sex is?
Are we answering the genuine questions about relationships and if we should wait or not?
Or are we allowing others to do that for us?


Comments

  1. Good post!
    please do remember , my country's ( India) young girls, in ur prayers.Girls now-days can hardly wait. Acco to them, they are socializing or 'being cool' .Sadly pre-marital sex is becoming casual, even in so called 'conservative' country like ours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its very sad isnt it. I will pray for girls world wide with this issue.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The day I found my voice

Young leaders development...

The Word means a lot...