The Meaning of Honour

In the bible it talks about Honouring your parents, I desire for a life which honours my parents but also a life which follows the calling God has on my life..

The problem comes when the calling on my life from God is something which my parents don't like. Something which won't please my parents because it's not something they class as a legitimate life decision.

I have recently made a few changes in my life (Which i can't reveal just yet as you will understand the reasons why soon) and need to tell my Parents these new plans. I have struggled to see the positive result of letting them know where i was going and what i was doing.

I was chatting to my mentor about it and how i wanted to make my parents proud and was worried what i was doing was dishonouring them. I didnt know how to approach the situation.

She asked me what i thought it meant to honour my parents. I thought about it and what i thought was not honouring them as such but more doing what they wanted.
Nikki, my mentor suggested to me that infact i could honour my parents by giving them the time of day to tell them where i was going with life, by respectfully listening to their opinion, not meaning that it was necessary to follow it but definatly listen to it.

It changed my thought on how i actually approch the situation. God wants me to boldly follow His calling on my life but He also wants me to honour my parents as i do that.

Nikki challenged me with this one question,
Who do you want to honour more...
God?
Your parents?
Others?


Ultimately i want to honour all three of those options but i believe by honouring God i am firstly giving the control and the worry over to God and through honouring God i will be honouring my parents.

It certainly doesnt make situations any easier but it definatly helps to know that God wants me to respect them rather then, be them and do exactly what they want and plan for my life.

It makes me feel free as an adult to make my own choices and to choose to pursue all God has planned for my life.

Comments

  1. I did a post about this topic this month. Come and read my blog and follow. Trued to follow you but it says I already do??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Nicole7992, Yes God must always come first, when I decided to walk with Jesus,30 years ago, my Mum who is an agro Atheist abused me and for months her and the rest of my family wouldn't talk to me. Mum said I had been brain washed, I know it was True but how good it was to get all the rubbish washed away. Nicole you are a very beautiful young woman and I'm proud to call you my sister in the Lord and I would like to offer you The Lord, The King of Kings Friendship Award, it’s very differant from most, more like a blessing and some call it that, you can accept it as you feel in your heart or not, it’s to affirm we are one, we are family.

    Blog Post - http://freedomborn.wordpress.com/2011/12/15/the-king-of-kings-friendship-award/

    Thank you again for sharing from your heart to mine.

    Christian Love Anne.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The day I found my voice

Young leaders development...

The Word means a lot...